Foresight. Integrity. Ingenuity. Commitment.
These are the traits that make up vision. Traits that can transform a landscape. Traits that deliver lasting value and sustainability. It was on these traits that Boyle Investment Company was founded in 1933, and since that time, Boyle has established its reputation as a master developer with a portfolio of stimulating properties and environments that endure the test of time. A family-owned company with roots dating back to the founding of the city of Memphis, Boyle’s foresight in real estate development has had a direct impact on the landscape of the Memphis and Nashville areas.
The Boyle name has not only become synonymous with innovative land development, but is also deeply rooted in Memphis history, as Boyle ancestor, John Overton, teamed with Andrew Jackson and James Winchester to found the city of Memphis in 1819. In 1907, Edward Boyle, whose sons would go on to found Boyle Investment Company, launched the Boyle family’s interest in real estate when he developed the Belvedere subdivision between Central and Union Avenues in Midtown.
Expanding Horizons, Building Relationships
In 1933, three of Edward’s sons—J. Bayard Boyle Sr., B. Snowden Boyle, and Charles Boyle—followed their father’s lead and established Boyle Investment Company. The Boyle brothers began buying land and developing residential subdivisions and shopping centers, and by the 1950s, Boyle had become a full-service real estate investment operation, adding commercial and industrial properties. Shortly thereafter, the company’s services grew to include sales, leasing and management, construction, mortgage banking, and insurance. Seventy-five years after its inception, Boyle continues to offer these services and build relationships with the people and businesses of the Memphis community. In 2001, Boyle opened an office in Nashville to extend its goal of providing a wide range of real estate services, including development, acquisition, and sales and leasing of both commercial and residential properties in the middle Tennessee area.
Transforming a Region’s Landscape
The company prospered throughout the 1960’s, developing standards of excellence for the city of Memphis, with communities such as Farmington, Kirby Woods and River Oaks, while also diversifying outside of Memphis. In the early 1970’s, Boyle accepted the challenge of converting the former grounds of the Ridgeway Country Club into one of the country’s first mixed-use developments, Ridgeway Center. During the 1980’s, Boyle developed prime office properties in Tennessee, Florida and Mississippi, and their retail holdings were expanded into Missouri. In the 1990’s, Boyle became active in Texas retail developments, while continuing its thrust in local retail, residential, industrial, and large scale mixed-used developments such as Humphreys Center in East Memphis, Schilling Farms in Collierville and Berry Farms and Meridian Cool Springs in Franklin.
Because of Boyle’s visionary planning, today’s map of East Memphis and beyond includes dozens of properties that have been, or are currently being, developed by Boyle.